The correct way to use a pulse oximeter:
1. Make sure your hand is relaxed, warm, and just below the heart
2. Pulse oximeter measures the oxygen level of our blood with the help of light. So using a pulse oximeter in direct sunlight may not give accurate readings.
2. If there is nail polish on the finger of the finger you want to test, remove it with a 'nail polish remover'.
3. The company you buy the device from will get a guide with the device Read the instructions before using the device.
4. Wait at least 2 minutes to get a stable reading
5. Always keep your readings on a piece of paper or somewhere else with the time and date so that the doctor can make further decisions based on your readings.
If the reading goes below 89%, it may indicate disease in your heart or lungs. Constant readings below 89% are a potential health hazard. So it is important to take the help of a doctor in this situation
Factors that can prevent you from getting an accurate reading include:
1. nail polish
2. Directly intense light
2. unclean nails
3. Cigarette use
5. Skin density.
6. skin temperature
8. If the speed of blood circulating in the body is low